Monday, March 12, 2007

Weekend Work

This weekend I did some yardwork. It was warm and sunny part of the time so it made yardwork better. I took Steffi and Fritz out with me. They enjoyed it. I picked up all the tree branches that had fallen out of the trees and into the yard in the pas 5 or 6 months. Then I cleaned out the gutter that runs beside the house and removed the old peonies bushes from the flower beds. They die every year in the Fall and then come up in the Spring. I'm sure most people cut back the old dead parts in the Fall or Winter but I wait until Spring because a gardening expert on the local news said they could provide extra protection for the bulbs during the Winter. And since I don't need curb appeal because I don't have a curb, it doesn't really matter what the flower beds look like in the Winter.

I think the time change got me this time. Yesterday I only ate about 950 calories and worked out some. That's way too few calories. But I wasn't really, really hungry or anything. This morning I woke up and just wanted to go back to sleep, when usually I'm pretty much awake when the alarm goes off. Then I developed a headache and was just dragging around all day. I ate extra tonight to see if that would make me feel a little better. And although I had intended to work out tonight, I thought I'd better just take it easy. I may go to bed a little earlier tonight. Josh Bernstein's Digging for the Truth tonight is about mummies, and I really don't want to watch a show about dead bodies.

Oh, and starting out for work at 7;30am when it's really really really dark outside is horrible. They shouldn't have started daylight savings time three weeks early. I can just imagine how many kids got hit by cars this morning standing around in the dark waiting for the school bus. And all this was done so the oil companies could make even more money. Seriously, I saw it on the news that the impact of having more daylight in the evenings is that people will drive longer and farther and use more gasoline. Forget what they tell you about conserving energy by not having to turn the lights on until an hour later at night. It isn't what time the clock says it is, it's when people start their day. And I start mine at 5 am. Which means last week I had lights on until about 6:30am and then around 7-7:30am I went to work. I got home and didn't have to turn the lights on until about 5pm. Today, I had the lights on until I left for work around 7:30 am and then I turned them on after work around 6- 6-30 pm. So, for the hour to hour and a half I gained in the evening, I spent an hour in the morning with lights on. Kind of cancels itself out which pretty much means that Daylight Savings Time doesn't really save anything.

No comments: