Friday, September 26, 2003

Today I got a letter from my friend Jenny. We've been friends since probably first grade but I hardly ever see her anymore. I'm too much of a homebody to drive the 10 miles to her house. She's doing well. Jenny is married and has two daughters. She got married around the same time I got my job as a bookkeeper. That was six months before I 'lucked' into the govt. job I've enjoyed for 4 and a half years. So, you could say that the both of us really began adult life around the same time. There are times I really do sit down and compare my life to hers. Not favorably or unfavorably. Not even some measuring stick comparison. Just a contemplation on the different paths we've taken. Everyone needs a childhood friend to grow up with. Someone with whom you can imagine looking at your life through their eyes. It really gives you perspective. Back to the letter, every year, Jenny's mom has a neighborhood cookout at her house. I think one year they actually had 200 people show up. This year, the cookout is the first Sunday in October. And I think it might be a little sad, Jenny's dad died earlier in the year. I'm glad to see the cookout is still on. Jenny's mom hates cookouts, so I wondered if they would have it this year. Anyway, I told Jenny about the safari Polly and I went on at this place called The Wilds and offered to send her some info in case her church might be interested. Jenny takes more than her fair turn at the kids' rooms at church so I thought it would be a good thing for the kids to do. Jenny said she'd love to have some info on the safari. So, I'll be sending her a brochure and printing out some stuff from the website.

I wrote a letter to my other friend Brenda today. I met Brenda in college. She's about 18 years older than me and we were both majoring in Business Admin. I specialized in accounting and she remained in the General Business curriculum. She's divorced, no kids, and works the 5pm to 1am shift at a park and convention center here in Jackson co. The funnest thing I can tell you about Brenda is this one story from when we were in college. We had this other friend, a guy by the name of Aaron. He dated young girls. Young girls. Well, one day Brenda and Aaron grabbed some lunch at Pizza Hut and Aaron told some people there that he and Brenda were dating. That was hilarious because Aaron is younger than me. They kept the 'dating' thing up for months and joked about it often. Aaron was a lot of fun. If you've ever seen the cancelled Fox show Proffit about the junior executive played by Adrian Pasdar who went around killing people and torturing people and slept naked in a cardboard box, well he reminded me of Aaron. Not that Aaron was that warped, he just played at the same kind of executive business attitude. He loved Rush Limbaugh. Gee, those were the days. Every time the three of us had to take a Myers-Briggs personality test, we always ended up the same: Aaron was Kirk, I was Spock and Brenda was McCoy. I think there's a Guru Book there about the Star Trek Management Style. But I lack Kirk's ambition to write it.

If you've got a minute, why not check out the guestbook?

No comments: