Wednesday, September 24, 2003

"You and Me Just Sittin' in the Dark"

Yes, that is from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song. It's relevance will be known in a second. First, I would like to say thanks to Polly for signing my guestbook. Check out her blog, if you haven't already.

Now as to the blackout... Today at work, the electricity went off for about an hour. That wasn't so bad, we had an extended lunch. But when the lights came back on, the power surge fried the router for our computers/network thing. So, we had no network capability the rest of the day. We couldn't work in our main program, couldn't check email, couldn't surf the net. Nothing. So, I found some issues of the magazine, Atlantic Monthly , in the atty's office. There were extremely long articles and only two were even remotely interesting: one about reconciling extraterrestrial life with Christianity and the other was about the torturous methods of interrogation. Did you know that Thomas Paine was writing about extraterrestrials in 1794? Apparently the guy who wrote the article for this magazine did. So, then I rummaged through John's office to see if he had any other magazines, and I found an issue of Newsweek. But at first I thought it was a gag issue because the top banner headline said "The Plan for War" in regards to the attack on Iraq. However, as I thumbed through the issue, I realized the magazine was actually being serious about 'the plan'. Well, the Administration finally managed to hoodwink - uh, I mean convince at least one American that there actually is a plan.

The parts to fix our computer problem have been ordered. That could mean we won't have our computers for days. I'm bringing some books to work with me tomorrow.

Wesley Clark was on the Today Show this morning and I have to say that I like his presence better than any other Democratic Presidential Candidate I've seen. It will be interesting to see the difference between politicians and military personnel that will present itself as this Primary season unfolds.

I'll leave you with a meaningful quote - it's spray painted on a van that drives around the town of Ripley and can be seen often at the Krogers grocery store: "Don't have a litter. Spay a critter!"

No comments: