Saturday, January 14, 2006

New Recipe

I found a recipe for Turkey Meatloaf in a magazine the other day. It has 25 grams of protein per serving and only 1 gram of fat. So, I thought I would try it. The ground turkey breast I needed was $3.99 a pound and I needed two pounds of it. I also used egg beaters instead of egg whites like the recipe called for. I couldn't see buying whole eggs and throwing away all those yolks. I made the meatloaf today and it smelled like regular meatloaf when it was baking. How was it to taste? It tasted ok. I should have mixed all the ingredients up a little better before I baked it, but that wasn't the fault of the recipe. Bottom line - for about $15.00 I now have 8 meals - less than $2.00 per meal. Not so bad.

Here's the recipe:

2 pounds ground turkey breast
1 cup chopped onions
4 egg whites
1 cup chunky salsa
1/2 cup uncooked oats
1 package Knorr vegetable soup mix
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything except the ketchup in a bowl. Place mixture in a meat loaf pan and cover with ketchup. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Serve. Makes 8 servings.

Nutrients per serving:
calories 122
Fat 1 gram
Carbs 3 grams
Protein 25 grams.

What did I change in this recipe? Egg beaters instead of egg whites (the equivalent of two eggs). Dried chopped onions instead of one cup fresh. No vegetable soup mix ( I added steak seasoning instead and would have added beef boullion powder if I had it). Added Italian seasoning, celery flakes and mustard. And I didn't cover it when I baked it.

No comments: