Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Dish Scam

So, I went to a local dealer in the Dish Network business today. They explained to me that I could buy the receiver and antenna instead of doing the free equipment with an 18 month commitment. But, I have to contract with them for one year's worth of programming and if I cancel during that year, then I have to not only pay the rest of the programming charges for that year, but I also have to forfeit the satellite dish I bought. I can understand paying the rest of the year's worth of programming fees, but giving back something I bought and that I have ownership of is ridiculous and just plain punitive. And I'm betting it's illegal. That's like buying a new GM vehicle and canceling the onstar service before your year's commitment is up. The local car dealership would not seize your $30,000 car because you canceled the onstar service. I'm gonna call the 1-800 number and see what scam the Dish Network people will try to con me into if I buy from them direct.

No comments: