Monday, February 16, 2004

"If we can't get him out ourselves, we can use the wench on my truck."

The quote in the title of this post comes from a romance novel I was reading today. It's called "The Winter Soldier" by Diana Palmer. I've read this book a hundred times and never caught the mistake in the quote. But now that I've caught it, I can't keep from laughing. Here's the scene: Cy Parks comes across Lisa Monroe, his neighbor, whose cow is having a calf. The calf is stuck and won't come out, so Cy told his ranch forman who was with him that they will use the wench on his truck to pull the calf out if they can't get him theirselves. The mistake is the word "wench". According to www.dictionary.com, a wench is a young woman or girl, especially a peasant girl, a woman servant, or a wanton woman. This presented the most hilarious imagery in my mind when I was reading this a few minutes ago, because I'm almost certain the writer meant to use the word winch which means a stationary motor-driven or hand-powered machine used for hoisting or hauling, having a drum around which is wound a rope or chain attached to the load being moved. It could be that the writer did use the correct word and someone's spellchecker replaced it, but you would think people who worked in the romance novel genre would know the difference between a wench and a winch. LOLOL - Too funny!

No comments: