Thursday, October 28, 2004

House Hunting

First House - It had had flood water in the garage. Cross it off the list.

Second House - Doublewide, good condition. Back yard was cluttered and felt claustrophobic. Big Negative - the road to get there was a single wide, blacktop road, steeper than the driveway we have now. I'd never get out in the winter. Kitchen and bathroom were great though.

Third House - This one was thrown in by the agent. I hadn't asked to see it but they thought I should because it was supposed to be in really great condition. And it was. It was a 4 year old doublewide on one acre with a three car garage. The yard was again cluttered with landscaping and kids' stuff (sand boxes, toys, etc.) The bad part - They wanted $100,000 for it. I'm not paying that much for one acre and a doublewide. Kitchen was good.

Fourth House - The one I wanted to see with the 45 acres. The road to get there was barely gravel and narrow and was over two miles long. I could buy it, but I could never make the payments because I'd lose my job due to excessive absenteeism caused by not getting out to work in the winter.

So, bottom line is that I am still on the house hunt. The agent was trying to talk me into a little cottage house on a half an acre. She thinks I won't want to do all the maintenance and upkeep on a larger property. Which may or may not happen. But, I've lived on a 20 acre farm for 25 years. I can't go from 20 down to one half just like that. And we couldn't get in to see the inside of the house - the key wouldn't work in any of the doors' locks. What is ironic is that the owner of this house works for the Dept. of Highways. You'd think he would get better roads out his way with his connections.

No comments: