Friday, February 06, 2004

Julie bought me lunch as a token of her appreciation for how wonderful I am to everyone at work. I take time to answer their questions and go out of my way to help them out. I don't solicit these tokens but it's difficult to turn them down because you might hurt people's feelings. So, I figured I would quietly take the lunch today and not make a big deal about it and it would be forgotten by Monday. And I made cookies and brought them in to work today so I could contribute something of value to the office and not look like a total leech. Well, dad says I shouldn't have taken lunch from Julie, that she has bills to pay. I think it's ok to take the lunch as long as I don't encourage her to do it again and as long as I continue to treat all the co-workers equally, not giving Julie special treatment because she bought me lunch. It isn't as if we don't bring food in to share any other time. Tony brought in some Christmas cookies. Darlena's brought in doughnuts a couple of times. True, Julie directed her act of kindness at me only when the others shared their food with the whole office, but Julie said that it was a thank you for all I do for everyone, not just her. When the others in the office heard she was going to do this, they could have chipped in and helped her pay for it if they wanted to. And when you think of all the money we spend chipping in on gifts throughout the year for Secretaries Day and Bosses Day and Christmas gifts for the Bosses, the $3.00 Julie spent on me today wasn't all that much. Heck, I lost $50.00 in Walmart one day.

No comments: