Friday, February 06, 2004

A wise and exceptional blogger asked the question, "What's a Tech 3?" Here's a little background: I was once called an Accounting Technician II. Then along came a reclassification and I became a CS Technician 2. By removing the word "accounting" and making the job title more vague, I was able to get a 10% increase in pay. The downside is that no one knows what I do with a title like CS Tech. Anyway, I should have been reclassified as a Tech 3 (one more paygrade {5%} higher) because I have those qualifications, but because of stupid personnel rules, I got robbed. So I filed a grievance and my bosses worked out an elaborate plan to get me the Tech 3 job title and a raise. They had to strongly suggest that someone in our office retire so I could take her job, but hey, retirement's good so my conscience wasn't too bothered by sending her on her way. It took the woman three months to finally retire and then I was submitted for her position. And today I was presented with a box of audits from her area (since now that she's gone I have to work her area and mine), even though I was told that she had everything caught up last week before she left. I think some people lied to me. Oh well, if I ever leave, I'll just leave behind a few audits as well. It seems to be the rule since this has happened to me twice now.

No comments: