Tuesday, March 18, 2008

In the Dark

This morning I was awakened by the wrong sound. My back-up alarm clock. It should only go off when the electric's off. And guess what, the electric was off this morning. Once I managed to get the alarm turned off, I looked out my window to see lights all around the area. I thought, "Darn. It's just me. Now I have to call the power company." So, I got up and managed to make my way to the living room where I found a flashlight. I dug out my cell phone, an electric bill with my account number on it and checked the phone book to make sure I had the right number to report an outage and called the power company. After about 5 minutes of automated 'service' and elevator music, I talked to a live person who said I first had to flip all the breakers inside the house and then flip the ones below the meter. I could find the ones in the house, but I looked at the meter and had no idea where those breakers were. I called mom and dad at about 5:20am and left a 'please help me' message and lucky for me, Mom was on her way to the bathroom and heard me on the phone. So, Dad came up around 6am. I was outside with my flashlight helping Fritz and Steffi see while they were out doing their business when he arrived. He checked the breakers too and showed me where the ones on the meter were and then I called the power company back and told them that it didn't work. They said they would send someone out to fix it. I had to leave dad with the dogs and I took all my stuff to Mom and Dad's house so I could get ready for work. The puppies were very happy to see their grandpa. I think he fed them some treats and catfood. I showed him what dogfood to feed them, but they are picky eaters and with their excitement added to it, I'm not surprised that they didn't eat much. My electric came back on just before 8:30am.

This wasn't the way to start a day. I had a not so good day at work today. I kept getting interrupted by people and couldn't get anything done. Oddly enough, these same people complain that they get interrupted a lot and can't get anything done. You'd think they would have some consideration seeing as how it happens to them.

I was very tired today. So tired that I didn't have the energy to stick to the diet or do any exercise.

I have to remember to buy a phone with a cord on it so I can use it to call the power company the next time I don't have power. My cordless phone doesn't work. And I have to remember that this Sunday is Winnie and PJ's birthday party at their grandparents' house. Luckily, Mom has been reminding me when I talk to her.

I'm reading a new book today. I bought a Tom Clancy-ish book at walmart this morning. I say "ish" because it says "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell" as written by some other guy. It's a more interesting read than the Bourne Identity, but still not as good as the Alex Rider books.

No comments: