Thursday, January 01, 2004

New Year's Eve Observations

For the first time in years, I stayed up to see the New Year last night. Not because I wanted to participate in the reveling. I just figured that I should stay up late during my vacation. Jay Leno's monologue was pretty good. Carrot Top was a guest on the Tonight Show and his act was pretty good. Jay had Tom Jones as a musical guest and he sang that old classic, Burning Down the House. One thing about it, Tom Jones' voice is not one that can lull you to sleep, so the chances of missing the New Year were slim. Jay also had a segment with Ross the Intern, I think it was. I haven't seen this show in years so this guy was brand new to me. Anyway the Intern was spending New Year's Eve in NYC and he went around to all the different restaurants offering international cuisine and tried some of the traditional dishes from some foreign countries. In one restaurant he had to eat cow brains and all I could think of was Mad Cow disease. Then he ate some Octopus and some other weird stuff. I felt sorry for the guy but he always managed to find some alcohol to wash the food down with so I guess he was compensating the best he could. Hope Jay pays him well. Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve had a bunch of people I'd never heard of on it. And that 70's Diva, Donna Summer. Late Night with David Letterman had Rod Stewart performing. Remember the days when Rod Stewart was someone you couldn't get for tv? Then the Fox station had a New Year's Eve show. I don't know who the guy was hosting it (maybe Ryan Seacrest?? I saw a commercial for his show and the guy looked like the host of the New Year's Eve show), but Paris Hilton and the Ritchie girl were there. On that show, one of my favorite country performers, Keith Urban sang as did Metallica and some rock group I'd never heard of. Cyndi Lauper was performing on the CNN coverage of NYC's party, but they didn't show her performing the song, At Last, which is the one I wanted to hear, so I didn't watch that coverage much.

Spilling over into New Year's Day, I just have one comment. They call it the Today show for a reason. Not The Pre-Taped A Week Ago Show. It's really sad when the news starts taping the show in advance.

No comments: