Friday, April 02, 2004

Another post about the training conference

The rooms at the Radisson Hotel in the Big M were pretty good. Definitely better than I had stayed in since probably my 8th grade trip to Washington DC. I think ever since then, I've only stayed in hotels whose rooms opened up to the outside. This time, the rooms opened up to the hallway. Angie O had a room on the 11th floor and apparently all the rooms on that floor had the big bathrooms. By big, I mean two sinks and a separate tub and shower. The rest of us had a one sink, combined shower/bathtub bathroom. Brenda spent most of the first day trying to get a room on that floor. And Mel kept reminding Angie O that she was still on probation. The only thing I was disappointed in about the room was the view. Barb H and I had a street view and Mel, Brenda and Angie O had a river view. Of course we all thought it was pretty funny that our Deputy Commissioner had to sleep on a pull-out sofa in the sitting room area next to Angie O's room because the hotel had cancelled his reservation. Here Angie O had only been with us for about 6 weeks and she gets a primo room and the Deputy Commissioner is on the couch. LOL. Funny.

For dinner Wednesday night, we all went to this restaurant called Ruby Tuesday. Although Barb H wanted italian food, we all decided to go to a place that we didn't have back home and a place where we could spend a big chunk of the $23.80 that was reimbursable for dinner. I had the Chicken Parmesan with Pasta and it was pretty good. Angie O ordered some kind of chocolate cake for dessert and I got a piece of it, had to get some chocolate from somewhere since the people sponsoring the training didn't include any in the catered meals.

I also won a door prize on the third day. It's a candy container that resembles a gum ball machine. It's made from a terracotta flower pot and glass bowl. Rumor is RumorNancy made it, so I may have to repaint it to exorcise the bad vibes out of it. Anyway, she made it by painting the 4 inch flower pot a baby pink color and painted a flower on it and some swirly gold designs. Then she turned the pot upside down and glued the glass bowl on to the actual bottom of the pot. Then she painted the terracotta saucer base of the flower pot the same pink color and glued a round ball onto the saucer and painted it gold. When you place the saucer on top of the bowl, it really does look like a gum ball machine. I can take comfort in the fact that the bowl isn't lined up very well on the flower pot, so she isn't all that perfect. I have chocolate candy in it now.

My old boss, Sallie, was sent an email by accident this morning by the state office who had sent me an email to tell me that testing of the new programming could begin next week if I could also begin next week. So, that precipitated a compliment from Sallie that went something like this, "Miranda, you're so wonderful. I miss you. You don't know how much I'd love to have you down here in my region." When a boss is that happy with you, you should watch yourself. Because it probably doesn't take much for her to become that UNHAPPY with you. Sallie and I were born on the same day, just different years. I called her my zodiac twin and I think she got a kick out of it.

We're trying to get April, our new tech, into the April 12th training. If she gets to go, then not only will I be able to have lunch with her because that would be one of the testing days that I would be down at the state office for, but she would also be going to training with Angie O and I think that would be great for both of them to get to know each other. I'm hoping April gets to go to training. I don't want to have to train her everything and then send her to training in three months after she's already learned it.

No comments: