Sunday, January 06, 2008

A Dieter's Tool

I use the calorie counter at Prevention's website to see how many calories I should be eating for the weight I want to be. For instance, if I want to be 120 pounds and be sedentary, then the calorie counter tells me I should eat something like 1440 calories a day. This is the basis for my theory that if I eat the number of calories for the weight I want to be, with no exercise, then, over time, I should lose down to that weight since I'm not eating the number of calories needed to maintain the weight I'm currently at. Now of course, I do plan to work in a little exercise here and there. Just walking in place in front of the tv, or using my handweights, or doing some pilates in front of the tv. And my current calorie goal per day is about 1150 or so, so I'm actually eating a lot less than what would maintain the weight I want to be. But this is just because I want to try to lose weight a bit faster. I actually got on the scales just a bit ago to see where I was so I could use the calorie calculator to see how many calories I would need to maitain this weight.

Despite how depressing it is to see my current weight, knowledge is power and I now know my starting point. Plus, I thought I actually weighed more that I did, so that was good news. I figured I was about 6 pounds heavier than what the scale showed tonight.

Anyway, for all of you out there who might be curious about how many calories you need to maintain a certain weight, you can click here for the calorie counter at Prevention.com.

No comments: