Monday, January 28, 2008

Promises, Promises

Have you ever noticed that it's a lot easier to break a promise you make to yourself than it is to break one made to someone else? I said I was going to work out this week, and here I sit. You would think I would mean as much to me as anyone else. But, in my defense, the lying, backstabbing boss at work tried to get me into trouble again. Of course, I have the evidence to support what I do, but she just ticked me off again so I decided I couldn't get on the treadmill and be trapped there with that crap stuck in my head.

Speaking of work, today I was trying to dig out all of the shredded paper that had gotten packed into the guts of the shredder and I cut my hand. I have about 4 cuts but they are all about the size of paper cuts so I didn't fill out any incident reports. They just hurt like heck.

Ooh, one promise I did keep today - I did not weigh myself. I lost all that weight a couple of years ago and didn't weigh myself at all. I can do without the scales until I think I'm done.

Just a little bit ago, I was watching Winnie trot through the house with a toy in her mouth. She looked like she had a plan and was executing it, and it got me to thinking about something someone at work had said a while back. She said "I know pets don't have souls..." I can't imagine God would put living creatures on Earth and have Noah save them and not give them souls. Doesn't God value all life? Why would he show preference to one type of life and not others? I think people may have linked the idea of a soul to heaven, thinking that the soul ascends to Heaven when the body dies. And since these people believe dogs and other animals can't think about a heaven because they don't have preachers telling them what to think like we people do, then animals must not have souls. Here's my theory: the animals, and pets especially, are agents of God testing us humans to see if our souls are worthy of ascendence into Heaven. If we're good to pets then it's a telling sign about how good we are as people. And I have a problem with people thinking that Heaven is some reward or a bribe: do what the preacher says you need to do and you'll get in. I think God would rather we not need a bribe to be decent human beings.

No comments: