Friday, November 21, 2003

Here's a Wil Wheaton post.


grinding halt
Several people have written in with the news of Jonathan Brandis's apparent suicide at age 27.

I guess many TV watchers put us in a category together, because we both played "The Kid" on a SF show. I've heard him called "The Wesley of SeaQuest" more than once, and not in a kind way. Jesus, I bet that sucked for him.

I didn't know him, though I did see him from time to time when we were kids, mostly at Big Bopper Teen Cheese-O-Rama parties at whatever 50s diner was currently trendy.

Anyway, I think it's terribly sad. I know how hard it is to make the transition from child to adult actor. I know how merciless Hollywood is. I know the pain, frustration, and depression that he must have felt. I know it intimately.

The thing is, if I'd turned right instead of left, if I'd taken the elevator instead of the stairs, if I'd chosen differently when faced with one of those 1 or 0 decisions . . . that could be me you're reading about today.


No comments: